Psalm 77:11-12

I shall remember the deeds of the LORD; surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
I will meditate on all Your work and muse on Your deeds. Psalm 77:11-12

Friday, February 25, 2011

Taxes vs. an Eternal Weight of Glory


      We're working on our taxes. Therefore, in my heart, I have been grumbling. I am so tempted to get my knickers in a twist over it all. I could justify it, too, if I start thinking about how my tax money is spent and by whom and for what and if that's even legal, much less right. But when I asked the Lord about it, He responded with a question. 

     In Luke 20 some scribes and chief priests sent people to trick Jesus by asking Him: 
"Is it lawful for us to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?" 
He saw straight through them, of course, and after viewing Caesar's likeness on the denarius, replied:
"Render to Caesar
the things that are Caesar's,
and to God the things that are God's."

     It always blows my mind how He does that. Instead of answering the apparent question, He answers the heart of the matter (the thing that's the matter with the heart). To render means to return, or pay back. So, for the privileges we enjoy from our government we render taxes. But what do we return to God for the privileges we enjoy? I believe it is honor. We should be a people who bring honor to His name. His name which He has bestowed on us. 

So He asked me: "Are you honoring Me?" 

(The answer to which was "No, I prefer grumbling, apparently. But I'm sorry, and I'm done now.")

After receiving the privileges of His careful investment in my life, the wealth of promises in His Word, the bountiful wisdom of His guidance, the abundant comfort of His faithfulness, an inheritance that will not perish, eternal treasure where moth and rust do not destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal; after receiving proof upon proof of the incredible riches of His goodness to me, I think I need to be done grumbling over pocket change.

1 comment:

  1. I love your ministry, Missy. It nourishes me every time I visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete