Psalm 77:11-12

I shall remember the deeds of the LORD; surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
I will meditate on all Your work and muse on Your deeds. Psalm 77:11-12

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

On Roosters, Napoleon Bonaparte and S'mores

     Yesterday G taught C how, and in some respects how not, to butcher a chicken. I'm reducing the roosters and this guy was worth the effort. So to celebrate this unusual event, C requested Napoleon's famed "Chicken Marengo", and the bird spent the day becoming tender in the crockpot. This dish was originally served to Napoleon to break the fast he kept during the battle at Marengo in Piedmont, Italy in 1800. It was such a success that Napoleon's chef was instructed to prepare it for the French General after every battle. (And young men have been requesting it to celebrate their conquests ever since.)


     So while it was cooking, the guys and I worked at clearing out the garden. I love living where we can throw a pile of brush down most anywhere and light it up most anytime. It appeals to the independent pyromaniac in me, I guess. Of course, it led to a spontaneous need for s'mores and fortunately for the guys, Dad was kind enough to oblige on his way home from work. 
     Life is short, tonight we ate dessert first. Now it's time for some superfluous poultry. Vive la difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment