Psalm 77:11-12

I shall remember the deeds of the LORD; surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
I will meditate on all Your work and muse on Your deeds. Psalm 77:11-12

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Beautiful Bowl of Bacteria


Yesterday I cleaned out my refrigerator.
And there I discovered an amazing bowl of MOLD and BACTERIA.
I think it's fascinating. Maybe even beautiful. Delightful to look at and study, certainly.

However, if someone tries to feed this to you:
DO NOT EAT IT.
DO NOT EVEN SNIFF IT.
IT IS BAD FOR YOU.
IT COULD MAKE YOU VERY SICK.

I believe it is my responsibility to tell you that.
I believe that as a Christian there is a degree to which I am responsible to care for those God places around me and warn them if there is a danger they might not be aware of. (Even if they get mad at me for doing so.) I hope I didn't offend anyone or hurt their feelings.

My point?
I am sure that most everyone I know, with the exception of very young children, is aware that it would be a bad idea to eat even a spoonful, not to mention a bowlful, of mold and bacteria like this. 
But I am not so sure that everyone I know has really considered the consequences of 'eating' intellectually from sources that question and undermine what God has revealed about Himself, the world He made, and the plan that He, as the Creator and Sustainer of all, has determined for those who have called upon Him.

Eve. She was such a great example of what not to do. She was the first to fall for Satan's ongoing  manipulation: 
"Did God REALLY say that? 
Is that what He REALLY said? 
Maybe it REALLY means something else?" (Genesis 3)

It seems like that's all he ever asks. It seems like that's all he ever needs to ask. He appeals to our intellect and prideful search for knowledge and we study our beautiful bowl full of mold and bacteria and eagerly grab a spoon.
TAKE. EAT. 
"YOU WILL SURELY NOT DIE."
"FOR GOD KNOWS THAT IN THE DAY YOU EAT FROM IT YOUR EYES WILL BE OPENED AND YOU WILL BE LIKE GOD, KNOWING GOOD AND EVIL."(Genesis 3)

The Apostle Paul said: 
"But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ." (2 Corinthians 11:3)
He had good reason to fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment