Psalm 77:11-12

I shall remember the deeds of the LORD; surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
I will meditate on all Your work and muse on Your deeds. Psalm 77:11-12

Monday, March 28, 2011

Amazed




 I am amazed every Spring.
 I am amazed by the beauty,
the extraordinary detail
and mostly,
the resilience and reliability
of the season's first flowers.

I am amazed that after months of dry, frozen stasis, fragile stems with soft, fine leaves force their way up through hard, rocky soil.

I am amazed that they emerge tender and innocent to suffer and survive regular dips below freezing and the occasional, late blanket of snow when their parent plants could take only one hard freeze before a withered retreat. 

I am amazed that this happened last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. 


I am amazed that it happened again this year, and will probably happen again next.

But I am, perhaps, most amazed that some believe that this all just 'happened' on its own. By luck, mixed with energy (from somewhere), and lots of time, billions of times over, from some singular, accidentally formed and functioning cell on a spot, on a planet held perfectly in place for time and seasons, without assistance, in a way that supports this incredible variety of life that reproduces itself with very little error.




 Instead of NOTHING becoming SOMETHING becoming BEAUTIFUL and AMAZING,
over and over again,
I am convinced,
certain, awestruck,
inspired, humbled,
and amazed that



SOMEONE who is AWESOME created EVERYTHING and LOVES 
THE CREATION THAT HE MADE.
Including us.

3 comments:

  1. I am so ready to be similarly amazed! We are a few weeks behind you, yet. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these first shoots out of the ground as well. What a miracle, every year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love wild violets! It is amazing that those tender shoots manage to push up. I hope to never lose the wonder of it.

    ReplyDelete