Psalm 77:11-12

I shall remember the deeds of the LORD; surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
I will meditate on all Your work and muse on Your deeds. Psalm 77:11-12

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Unadvertised Truths

Golden Prairie Fire Dogwood (Cornus alba 'Aurea')

    I picked this photo today for it's beautiful color, but it really got me thinking about what a disappointment this particular plant has been in the landscape and why. So often a variety of plant is acclaimed and advertised for some spectacular feature, some take-your-breath-away-you-must-have-this characteristic that seems to elevate it head and shoulders above the others. But they don't mention that it comes bound together with unseen weaknesses and problems that in the end make a gardener wish they had spent their money and effort on something less awe-inspiring and more reliable. 

    I admit that the Aurea's twig color is gorgeous, but in my yard this shrub has been a one-trick pony and you're looking at its singular virtue: it has pretty sticks. The unadvertised truth about this plant is that it is weak and easily diseased and it's colorful leaves barely reach full size before they are overrun with fungus. The swallowtail butterflies adore it so it is covered all season with powdery white caterpillars that devour what leaves remain after the fungus has done it's work. It is a slow grower and lacks a nice shape, which on it's own could be corrected if it weren't for all the other issues I already mentioned. To compound matters though, it is planted next to one of the healthiest, happiest, fastest-growing, shapeliest red twig dogwoods that I have ever grown and it is hard to not make comparisons. I am beginning to think that it may just be suffering from low self-esteem.

    People are like that. We are quick to focus on the obvious externals. We forget that no human being is ever fully defined by some take-your-breath-away-you-must-have-this characteristic that elevates them above others. The Lord sees past all this nonsense and makes no distinctions between us in either His love, care or judgement for all fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)  That we would be so wise! We are complex creatures that come with a wide array of strengths and weaknesses, blessings, problems and issues. We may have one glaring strength or beauty that others focus on, but it would be a mistake to define ourselves by it or to do the same to them. The truth is we are just normal human beings.

    I have decided that I will move Aurea this spring and see how she does in a different place with fewer accomplished beauties to compare herself to. But I realize that in the end I may just have to appreciate her deep coral stems, help her with the issues I can and recognize that she comes with a full set of imperfections and weaknesses--just like me.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful metaphor, Missy. I am so glad I found your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete