Psalm 77:11-12

I shall remember the deeds of the LORD; surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
I will meditate on all Your work and muse on Your deeds. Psalm 77:11-12

Sunday, July 3, 2011

My Offering

S has been practicing for weeks to play piano during the offering at church today. But by yesterday it was clear that certain parts of his piece simply would not come together. Throughout the day as I ran errands, I thought long about the things we bring to and do for the Lord. How we want them to be glorious and perfect and worthy--all the things that we are not. I felt compelled to write this last night. I read it during the offering today.

My Offering

  • I want to honor Christ the King
    I want to bring
    an offering that’s worthy
    A treasure chest
    A song to sing
    A dance with lyre
    And tambourine

    Gifts of gold
    A prized possession
    Wealth untold
    A grand profession of faith
    or hope
    of praise
    or growth
    or joy

    A noble action
    thought
    or deed
    A lofty manifesto
    creed
    or declaration

    Or a disposition quiet like
    a gentle spotless lamb
    A humble life of sacrifice
    presented to the great I AM

    But no

    For all I have
    is nothing
    My works are filthy rags
    My words reek of hypocrisy
    My fickle fervor lags
    behind my good intentions

    My talents they run shallow
    My wellsprings mostly dry
    My heart too often heavy
    My lack of faith decries
    that I have nothing
    fit to give My King

  • But mindful of my dust-filled frame
    He bids me come to Him
    to kneel in His presence
    to offer every sin
    and heavy burden
    and heartfelt pain
    Give up my prized possessions
    worldly gain
    my hopes
    fears
    joys
    tears
    My all
    To this world die

    That I might live
    in Him
    And in this life
    that I might bring Him
    everything
    that He has given me

    For every good and perfect gift
    is from his hand above
    His Word declares
    His glory
    His sacrifice
    His love
    His worthy offering
    in place of mine

    For everything is from Him
    and everything returns
    that He has given

    And so my heart that yearns
    to bring an offering
    is satisfied
    in Him


    mjv

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful reminder, thank you!
    So how did S do?

    ReplyDelete