Psalm 77:11-12

I shall remember the deeds of the LORD; surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
I will meditate on all Your work and muse on Your deeds. Psalm 77:11-12

Monday, July 25, 2011

Forward Progress?


Sometimes I feel like the caterpillar on the rim of this bowl: I know I'm moving forward, and I feel like I'm making significant progress, but then when I look around I realize I'm really just going around and around and around.
As a wife and a mom, certain tasks bring on this feeling more than others.
Dishes.
Laundry.
Dusting.
Vacuuming.
Dishes.
Laundry.
(Did I mention dishes and laundry?)
I find myself reflecting--"Wasn't I just here yesterday? Boy this seems familiar. Wait! I just had this clean!"
Sometimes I wonder if I'm really getting anywhere at all.
And I can be sure that when those thoughts overwhelm me, like the caterpillar, I am being very, very short-sighted. Because unlike the caterpillar, my life consists of more than eating, avoiding predators, reproducing and dying. And it holds much more than my least enjoyed tasks.
Thank You, God!
In addition to my laps around the household track, I have a life that is full of created wonders, interesting and loving people, divine appointments, eternal value and through the intercession of Jesus, a permanent relationship to the One who created and sustains it all.
(And in addition, I do realize that if I didn't do those jobs listed above my personal habitat would be much less pleasant, too.)

2 comments:

  1. This rings so true! I have tried to remember to view all of life as worship. Easier in a moment of quiet than in the midst of the craziness.

    Love your banner photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is truly amazing how your brain works! Thanks! BTW, what kind of butterfly will that "creation" become?

    ReplyDelete