Psalm 77:11-12

I shall remember the deeds of the LORD; surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
I will meditate on all Your work and muse on Your deeds. Psalm 77:11-12

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Healing of the Land


When we moved to this place almost 6 years ago there was a problem. The land was toxic. We didn't realize it at first, or know the cause of the problem. We just assumed that Indiana had picture-perfect lawns but did not have earthworms or frogs or many birds.
It was beyond me that with a barn as huge as the old hunk we've got placed beside lush fields of hay bordered by a creek and woods, we didn't have a single swallow. I could tell by the muddy shadows left behind from years past that there had been some once, but not in recent history.
Nothing  that ends in "-cide" has been sprayed here since we arrived. And we have watched with joy as year after year our land has recovered from what exactly we don't know, but assume it was related to the abundance of chemicals used to make a big, green, weedless yard. The progress went like this:
-After the first year, some worms and some toads.
-The second year more worms, more toads, some snakes and birds at the feeders.
-The third year an abundance of worms (TONS now), new kinds of birds, rabbits and squirrels.
-Year four--tree frogs! (Amphibians are the 'first responders' when an environment is toxic and their return was a big milestone.)
-And since we have watched as each season brings a new surprise; this year the Barn Swallows took up residence, appropriately, in the barn.
Not a lot of deep and meaningful material here, but it makes me smile and I thought it was cool. One that the barn swallows are back and the babies are growing crazy-fast. And two that there is a verse of scripture that refers to them. I knew, of course, that the sparrow is noted, but did not know until I searched www.Biblegateway.com that this wonderful mosquito-eater is mentioned, also.

Psalm 84

 1 How lovely are Your dwelling places,
O LORD of hosts!
2 My soul longed and even yearned for the courts of the LORD;
My heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God.
3 The bird also has found a house,
And the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young,
Even Your altars, O LORD of hosts,
My King and my God.
4 How blessed are those who dwell in Your house!
They are ever praising You.
                         Selah.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you are reclaiming the land!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Selah indeed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to see this progress! Love the bird faces! :-)

    ReplyDelete